Reposted from the Labor & Employment Law Navigator Blog - Click Here to Subscribe
On October 21, 2022, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) published an updated version of its “EEO is the Law” workplace poster with a new poster entitled “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal”. The new poster is simplified in that it uses plain language and bullet points which summarize the rights of employees and union members under laws enforced by the EEOC including:
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Genetic Information and Nondiscrimination Act
The new poster differs from the previously mandated poster by:
- Noting harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination.
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Adds a QR Code for fast digital access to the EEOC’s webpage explaining how to file a Charge.
Covered employers (generally those with more than 15 employees) are required to display the poster in a conspicuous location at their worksites.Additionally, while not required, the EEOC encourages employers to display the poster on the company’s website for employees who work remotely.
If you have questions about the new poster or a general employment question, feel free to contact Doug Schnee or any member of Frantz Ward’s Labor & Employment Group.