Attorney Profile for Marc A. Sanchez
Marc is a partner who focuses his practice on construction law. Marc has tried cases to juries and the bench throughout the United States. Marc has also successfully argued appeals in both state and federal courts. In addition, he has arbitrated many construction disputes ranging in value from $500,000 to $32 million. Marc counsels clients regarding claim avoidance, claim prosecution, risk allocation as well as surety and insurance issues. He is a frequent lecturer and has authored numerous publications on insurance and construction issues.
- “Performance Bonds and CGL Insurance in Construction Projects: Navigating Interplay Between Insurance and Surety,” Strafford Publications, Inc., Webinar (September 2016)
- "Allocation of Insurance Coverage for Ongoing Losses," Under Construction, Summer 2016.
- "Arbitration: Did You Get What You Bargained For?" Click here for the article in Properties Magazine. July, 2014.
- "Protecting Against Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine," Feb., 2014.
- Authored "Bad Faith Claims and Performance Bonds" in The Construction Lawyer, Summer, 2013. Click here for the article.
- ABA, Section 7, Hot Topic Presentation, "Bad Faith Claims Against Performance Bonds," 50 State Update, January, 2013.
- "Best Practices for Bonding Government Set-Aside Programs" National Association of Independent Sureties, March, 2011.
- "Scope, Time and Price," Northeast Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, March, 2011.
- "Disadvantaged and Minority Business Programs," Northeast Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, March, 2011.
- ALFA 50 State Construction Law Compendium (Ohio Chapter), 2012.
- "Contractual Indemnification and Additional Insureds," CEU Institute, February, 2011.
- "Independent Counsel for the Insured and Allocation of Loss Among Policies," Summer, 2010.
- "Effective Handling of CGL and Property Insurance Claims," Fall, 2009.
- "Recoupment of Non-Covered Defense Costs, Equitable Subrogation and Agent/Broker Liability, " Fall, 2008.
- Defended construction surety in AAA Arbitration and resolved claims in excess of $18 million based on allegations of negligent design and construction of a hospital curtain wall system.
- Successfully defended a construction surety in AAA Arbitration and bankruptcy court against claims in excess of $32 million based on allegations that its bonded principal, a mechanical contractor, improperly installed millions of dollars worth of process piping.
- Successful in overturning trial court decision and compelling
arbitration of the claims of over 20 subcontractors in connection with
the construction of the new FBI Headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana. Welty Building Co. Ltd. v. Indy Fedreau Co., LLC, 985 N.E. 2d 792, 2013 Ind. App. LEXIS 152, April 24, 2013 (to learn more about this case click here).
- Obtained a $667,000 jury verdict in case involving fraud in the sale of a multi-million dollar residence. Peter D. Sullivan and Judith M. Andreano, et al. v. Robert L. Waldock, Erie County Court of Common Pleas, Case No. 2009-CV-0880 (to learn more about this case click here.
- Successful prosecution of claims for violations of Ohio's Fairness in Contracting Act. C.J. Mahan Construction Co. v. Mohawk Re-Bar Services, Inc., 5th Dist. No. 2004CA00387, 2005-Ohio-5427
- Tried multi-party, multi-million dollar lawsuit involving allegations of
defective construction of a United States Army Corps of Engineers
project in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- Named to Chambers USA: America’s Guide to Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Construction (2015-2016)
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Construction Law (2015-2017)
- Leadership Cleveland Class of 2013
- NFL Hispanic Heritage Foundation Leadership Award, 2012
- Crain's Cleveland Business 40 Under 40
Phone: (216) 515-1638
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 1991
- A.B., Duke University, with Honors, 1988
- Ohio State Courts, 1994
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 1995
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2006
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2002
- New Hampshire State Courts, 1991
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 1991
- Cleveland Leadership Center—Board Member (2015-Present)
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission—Board Member (2014-Present)
- Leadership Cleveland—Class of 2013
- The Centers—Board Member (2011-Present)