Attorney Profile for Colleen C. Murnane
Colleen counsels clients on anticipating and avoiding liabilities and managing their business risks in the areas of product liability, commercial contract/warranty, business torts, non-competition agreements, and FCPA/anti-corruption practices. She has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting business contracts and non-competes, developing strategies to resolve disputes prior to litigation, and implementing and coordinating defense strategies to minimize losses. She has represented manufacturers of a wide range of products, including home appliances, industrial equipment, and automobiles, in product cases and has defended class actions involving CLA, contract, fraud and ERISA issues. Colleen is a trusted advisor to companies of all sizes, from closely held, family businesses to Fortune 500 companies and represents their interests in state and federal court.
- Defense verdict for a Fortune 500 Company in a product liability trial involving catastrophic injury from a grain dust explosion.
- Defense verdict for ladder manufacturers in cases involving retractable, wood staircases and fiberglass ladders.
- Obtained numerous dismissals or summary judgment for manufacturers of HVAC, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, gas regulator, and automotive products and components.
- Provided expert testimony on Ohio's Uniform Commercial Code for U.S. Company's lawsuit against Spanish corporation in Spain.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous business agreements, including distribution, reseller, subcontract, master lease, vendor and non-competition agreements.
- Representation of automotive lender in nationwide class action involving contract, fraud, and Consumer Lease Act claims.
- Representation of media company in purported ERISA class action.
- Devised and implemented product recall of commercial ladders for company to minimize and avoid catastrophic business risks.
- Representation of corporate officers in novel breach of fiduciary duty case.
- National coordinating counsel supervising nationwide litigation for manufacturer of asbestos-containing products.
- Frequent counseling of employers on the parameters and enforceability of non-compete agreements.
- Serving as legal counsel to private country club.
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Cross and Crown
- American Jurisprudence Award for Evidence and Civil Procedure
Phone: (216) 515-1627
- J.D., Ohio State University College of Law, summa cum laude, 1995
- B.A., Boston College, magna cum laude, 1990
- Ohio State Bar, 1995
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Ohio Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations
Youth Challenge, Trustee, Executive Committee
Lifebanc, Development Committee, Legacy of Life Co-Chair
American Lung Association, Co-Chair of 2012 Fall Classic
West Side Catholic Center
Editor of Product Liability Perspectives, ALFA International
January 2010 - present
How Much Compliance Is Enough Under The Foreign Corrupt Practice Act?, Products Liability Perspectives, September 2012 (co-author)
Liability of Component Part Manufacturers in Relation to Whole Product Manufacturers and Plaintiff; Economic Loss Rule as a Defense; Legacy Equipment Liability (Ohio), 2011 ALFA International Products Liability Compendium
The Sophisticated Purchaser Doctrine in Ohio, The Update, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Summer 2010.
Recent Failure to Warn Ruling Raises Concern About Reliance on Common Sense, Law360, August 2009